The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is one of the largest national medical organizations, representing more than 94,600 family physicians, family medicine residents and medical students nationwide. Founded in 1947, its mission has been to preserve and promote the science and art of Family Medicine and to ensure high-quality, cost-effective health care for patients of all ages.
Family physicians with solid electronic health record, or EHR, experience, offer these tips for how to successfully implement and realize full EHR functionality in a family medicine practice (source- http://www.aafp.org):
- rethink how to deliver health care using health information technology;
- anticipate a production cut for at least the first month;
- provide adequate staff training and ongoing support, especially to the less-than-enthusiastic members of your organization;
- focus initially on functions that will immediately improve the patient care process, such as e-prescribing and electronic access to lab results;
- introduce quality measures to improve outcomes gradually;
- evaluate, adjust and adapt the technology and your practice as necessary; and
- involve patients with features, such as patient portals.
For more success stories, visit – http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/practice-management/20100127ehr-success.html