The OT module maintains record of the Operations undergone by the patient. It maintains the name of the surgeon / consultant performing the operation, details of anesthesia, actual consumables, equipment used and any exclusive products ordered for the patient.
This module has the ability to manage Operating Theatres from scheduling of operations to tracking of consumables or drugs used in the operation. It has the facility to interface with patient billing to capture all services rendered to a patient as well as materials or consumables used. It also has the facility to order the necessary equipment, in advance, depending on the type of operation.
Major features of the Operating Theatre System capabilities include:
The Operating Theatre scheduling tool is part of the overall enterprise scheduling capability of an HIS (Hospital Information System). Customized schedules are created and managed to reflect the surgical services and facility capacity. The schedule manages multiple resources including surgical team, rooms, equipment and patient availability.
As part of the OT module, the Surgical Department will have access to waiting lists and patient preadmission information allowing informed bookings for procedures. The schedule can be tailored for the specific preferences of the surgical team, and case times are tracked and used to inform future procedure bookings. Schedules can also cater to the specific requirements of Day Surgery and special suites. Performance against schedule assists in planning changes.
Sharing Peri-Operative Data
The Operating Theatre System shares common data elements between the inpatient and outpatient HIS settings, and the entire surgical journey from preadmission to discharge from recovery. This reduces duplication of data entry and keeps data synchronized, ensuring that patient records are accurate, and facilitates management reports and timely reimbursement.
Surgical tracking boards are driven directly by electronic patient documentation occurring in theatres. This provides a dynamic and real-time overview of operating suite activity, facilitating effective room utilization and identifying overruns early. Actual case time information is communicated back to the surgery schedule and therefore enables better utilization of the available time in the Operating Theatre. The system will also talk to the Central Sterile Supply Department, using preference cards to indicate which supplies are required for the theatre list. This permits real-time inventory and stock control, and through analysis can drive cost-effective best practice. In addition to tracking supplies for routine management, individual instruments, prostheses and implants are tracked against each case, allowing reporting in case specific follow-up as indicated.
Order Entry and Results Reporting for Surgery
An integral feature of the Operating Theatre System, Order Entry and Results Reporting allows authorised users of the HIS to order laboratory, pathology and radiology tests, view numeric and textual results from pathology and radiology, and even access key EMR information like prior peri-operative records. Having access to this information allows effective decision making, ensuring quality care and minimizing surgical delays.
Day of Operation
Session management provides flexibility to adjust schedules for emergency cases, overrun cases, cancellations and dynamically display the current status of all theatre suites on the electronic white board.
Management Reporting and Data Analysis
The Operating Theatre System allows structured data entry and provides access to clinical and operative data. Checklists can be created to ensure that mandatory procedures are completed. In addition, the reporting tools featured in this module support the quick creation of statistical reports. Having access to this information allows effective decision making, ensuring quality care and minimizing surgical delays. Designed for the way we deliver care, the OT application can be configured with standard codes, reports, extracts and work processes. The processes mapped, codes, configuration of OT notes template can be done with endorsement from the clinical team of your hospital.
A quick checklist to look at for a great going OT module is:
1. A configurable OT master where several Operating Theatre suites can be created in the system with availability and unavailability
2. Preference card setup- surgeon’s preference of Team (surgeons, nurse, anesthetist, per fusionist), preferred surgery kit of instruments and equipments
3. OT procedure- package creation, kit creation (linen, instruments), average duration of procedure
4. Integration of OT module with other modules like billing, Central Sterile Supply Department, Housekeeping, Linen, Laundry, laboratory, pharmacy, Inventory, Radiology.
5. Interface of OT module with other processes like the Accident and Emergency, ICU, OPD and ward management
6. Surgery planning- ordering blood products, drugs, lab, nursing procedures, radiology
7. Pre-op checklist for patient and operating theatre
8. Post-op checklist for patient and operating theatre
9. Pre and post-anesthesia checklist
10. Marking OT consumption for surgery and Posting OT Actuals for patient billing
11 OT booking- request (from consultant, visiting consultants), creating OT schedule
12. Alerting OT staff on infected case
13. Cancellation and rescheduling OT Bookings
14. Template driven, easy and quick to write OT notes
15. Capturing Anesthesia records directly into system by modality interface
16. Template driven, easy and quick to write Anesthetist notes
17. Equipment Interface
18. Consent Management
19. Post operative order management